






































Well, the magical day has finally arrived. I love Christmas, but I think I love the buildup and the time before Christmas just as much as I love the actual day.
We got up at 7, and Sister #5 ran down from her house to watch the kids open their gifts, along with the live-in viewing audience, Grandma and Grandpa. Everyone had so much fun opening Santa gifts. Cupcake got a cell phone, so she was glued to that, texting, talking, charging, and reading the instruction manual. Domestic Goddess received a lot of American Girl clothes and accessories, and we OOHED and AAHED while laughing hysterically. Princess got a digital camera, Strawberry Shortcake playset, a big art set, and lots of other girly clothes and toys. The Boy got a growling dinosaur and blocks and lots of dinosaurs and cars. After the opening was over, the Boy immediately turned on his new Arthur movie.
We started preparing Christmas dinner--which was ham, mashed potatoes, veggies, rolls, sugar cookies, fudge, molasses cookies, chocolate chip cookies, chocolates and drinks. My divinity didn't set up--so it went into the trash. Everyone arrived between 1 and 2 and we had a lovely, loud, family dinner, followed by a lovely, even louder, more chaotic family opening present fest. This is just the traditional way Grandpa and Grandma like it--no one watches anyone else open anything, and we all have presents thrown at us one at time. Soon we have so many presents on top of us, plus our kids presents we can't move from the seat we chose at the beginning of the gift fest. Everyone is loud and the only time we all focused and watched was when Grandma and Grandpa opened their gifts at the end of the chaos.
This year, Sister #5 added a surprise. We were all eating Christmas dinner--I had already left the table, as most of the little kids were done eating. All of a sudden, I hear a commotion--and Sister #5 has an announcement--across her chest! She is expecting with her first! It was a novel way to share the news and there was a lot of screaming and choruses of "I CAN'T believe you didn't tell me!" heard for at least 30 minutes afterwards. Turns out she is already a couple of months along and due in June. We are all so excited for her!
Then, everyone collapses in exhaustion, heads to the kitchen to eat more food, and does a wrapping paper round up.
What a wonderful Christmas spent with all of the Wetzel clan! Merry Christmas!
It took me awhile to figure out who was who in your family. Glad you had fun!
ReplyDelete