January 13-15, 2010






Another debate tournament took place this weekend, only this time it was in Houston. Not too far away, but far enough. After our experiences last year going as the ENTIRE family, this year we learned enough to decide one parent would go and the other would stay home with the "littles." The Boy was happy to help with the packing as you can see--taking a ride in the suitcase!

So, I went and took Cupcake (the debater) and Domestic Goddess along for company (she also likes to time the rounds, and they are always desperate for timers.) It took Domestic Goddess probably 12 hours to make up her mind, because she was going to have to miss 2 WHOLE days of dance, which is torture. I thought she wasn't going almost until the last minute, when she decided that staying at a hotel and eating out was worth missing dance. In retrospect, I should have made her stay home, because we would have not had to feed another person, but oh well.

We stayed in a lovely hotel (I think it was a Comfort Inn) in Houston. The hotel was only about 10 minutes away from the amazingly large church where they hold the debate competition. This church has multi level parking, like you see at a mall! Cupcake had a good experience, but was not selected to "break" as they call it, which means you go on to the semifinal rounds of competition. We left immediately after the announcement about semifinals, which meant we left Friday at about 7:30. We didn't get home until about 1 a.m. I was exhausted, and had a bad cold.

I spent all day Thursday judging other debaters (they rely heavily on parents, as well as community judges) while Domestic Goddess timed. Don't worry you can't judge anyone you know, including your own child or anyone on On Friday, I graded assignments and watched one of Cupcake's rounds. I felt badly for every team I judged because I kept coughing and blowing my nose the whole time! his or her team.

No comments:

Post a Comment